Say you’ve finally gotten a place of your own and want to make bread rather than buy it, to save money. Or muffins sound great for an on the go breakfast.
You’ll need some key pieces of equipment to make these simple but delicious baked goods.
These are items I use weekly if not daily. A lot of them are dual-purpose, rolling pins are great for crushing candy for cookies or crackers for casserole topping and they make a good budget meat mallet.
This is a list of what I consider the necessary equipment for baking:
- 4 cup liquid measuring cup, this simply makes it easier but a one-cup works fine
- mixing bowls I bought this set at a local chain store
- rolling pin, I have a standard and a French one
- dry measuring cup set
- measuring spoons set
- sturdy spatula
- sturdy spoon
- fish spatula
- flour sack towels, I place them over my glass bowls while my dough is rising and if your countertop isn’t big enough for kneading you can put one down on the table and flour it for kneading.
- parchment paper, because it helps with clean up and prevents sticking.
- pastry brushes, mine are silicone so I don’t have to worry about the germs with natural fibers.
- electric hand/ stand mixer I have an older version of the link and the mixer is detachable
- cooling racks, these are the ones I plan to buy to replace my old one
- biscuit cutters, good for biscuits, cookies, scones, etc.
- 9×13 also known as a lasagna pan or cake pan
- 8×8 or any square pan, this is just the common size
- Rimmed sheet pans, ok for cookies but great for one pan dishes and pizza.
- Rimless cookie pans
- Pie plate 9inch is the norm
- bread pans, mine are granny ware
- 8″ or 9″ round cake pan(s)
- cupcake/muffin tins 12 is the standard but I also have a mini muffin pan
I know what you’re thinking, ‘Mallori that’s a really long list!’ And you’re right it is but you don’t have to buy it all at once. If you don’t ever plan to make layer cakes then skip the round cake pans. Rimmed sheet pans can be flipped to turn them into rimless pans for an even bake. This is merely the baking items I personally can’t work without, heck I don’t even have some of these items because they needed to be replaced and I haven’t yet. But when you go to make bread you’ll be thankful you have pastry brushes for the egg wash topping, trust me it’s not easy doing it with a spoon. And when you get a random brownie craving you’ll be glad you have a square pan to bake them in.
Is there anything you use for baking that you find essential? Let me know in the comments!
This post contains affiliate links that I may earn a small commission for qualifying purchases. Thank you for contributing to the upkeep of this blog.