On the 15th Kat turned 9 months old, excuse me while I go cry because my baby is growing up. She’s starting to army crawl backward and gets rug burn if she doesn’t have long pants and sleeves on. Kat also loves to chase people and animals in her walker. When she’s tired she cries for me ‘mamamamama’ but ‘adadada’ is daddy. Does anyone know how to freeze time? I’m not ready for her to turn a year old in a measly 3 months!
To distract myself from my despair at my baby growing up I had to figure out how to use up some leftover oranges that were used to make my cranberry orange muffins.
So I looked to see what’s in season this time of year other than the obvious citrus. Turns out pears and apples are still considered in season and I figured kiwi was a summer fruit, I was wrong. So I had Billy grab me the aforementioned fruits in certain quantities, except the kiwi because he loves those and developed this quick and easy fruit salad.
Here’s what you’re gonna need:
- Oranges, or if you have grapefruit on hand that will work too
- Apples, I got one red and one green for color contrast
- A pear, your preferred type will work, mine was green before I peeled it
- Kiwis, there is a trick on youtube with a spoon that made the peeling way easier
- Honey, or agave nectar, or golden syrup, I’m not sure I would recommend maple syrup
- The poppy seeds and chia seeds are optional
Juice two of the oranges add honey then whisk till the honey dissolves. Add the seeds if you decide to use them.
Toss the diced fruit together before adding the syrup, this ensures the syrup won’t stick to just one aspect. Pour the syrup over the salad in increments, stopping when you think it has enough.
Put the salad in your chill chest for at least an hour so the fruits can marinade in the syrup before serving.
What’s your favorite winter fruit?
Winter Fruit Salad
- 1 Pear peeled and diced
- 2 Apples diced
- 3 Kiwis peeled and diced
- 3 Oranges peeled and sectioned
- 2 Oranges juiced
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1 tsp Poppy seeds
- 1 tsp Chia seeds optional
- To make the dressing combine the honey and orange juice and whisk until the honey dissolves. Stir in poppy and chia seeds, then set aside while you cut up your fruits.
- Once the fruits are diced up to bite size proportions toss together then add the dressing and toss again.
- Fridge the salad for at least an hour to let everything soak up the syrup.