Welcome to Muffin Monday! This is a new segment where I will bring a new muffin every week till I run out of ideas and I have quite a few.
Who doesn’t love chocolate? I know someone who is severely allergic to the metal nickel and guess what it’s not just in cheap jewelry and silver coins, it’s also in chocolate. Who knew?! But she still loves chocolate and simply has cut back on her consumption a tiny bit. These muffins are not for you my friend!
I made chocolate chip muffins for a quick grab and go breakfast for my early morning clock in at my job that pays the bills though not quite so enjoyable as blogging. All my muffins have the same basic recipe with a tweak here and there for certain combinations. So now for the real reason, you’re all here, the glorious muffin.
Okay, all muffin recipes call for a grain, a liquid, some fat, sugar, and a binding agent. Today I’m using all-purpose flour because I’m out of whole wheat but it still has less sugar than a pack of muffins from your local grocery store so I would consider it healthier.
You’re gonna need:
- flour, you can use AP or whole wheat. I have not tried this with GF flour.
- sugar, I used granulated sugar but sugar substitutes will work fine.
- Unsalted butter or you could use the same amount in oil or ghee.
- Milk, I have not tried with dairy substitutes yet.
- An egg, I used chicken but you could use a flax egg or chia egg replacement.
- The little stuff; baking powder, vanilla, and salt
Sift your dry ingredients together into your work bowl. This helps with any lumps. Set aside.
Combine your egg milk and melted butter, you may need to reheat to keep the butter melted if your milk is still chilled. By the way, the milk is brown from the vanilla.
Make a well in the dry ingredients before pouring the wet into the work bowl. Whisk until it just comes together, there will be lumps and that is okay.
Fold in the chocolate chips then let the batter rest while you preheat the oven and line your muffin pan.
Fill the liners 2/3 full, I use an ice cream scoop (like this one) and once they’re all filled bake for 20-25 minutes.
And once they come out let them cook for about 5 minutes so you don’t burn your mouth.
Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Sift together the dry ingredients to remove any lumps.
- Combine milk, egg, and melted butter till fully incorporated. Then add to the dry ingredients. Be careful not to over mix the batter, a few lumps are ok!
- Stir in your chocolate chips and let the batter rest for about 5 minutes.
- Line your pan with paper liners or grease liberally. Fill 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes.