Years ago when we were broke as a joke my mom had a box of books that had come from an old library. She set aside the cookbooks for me knowing I’m a huge foodie and love to cook. In this box was a book that I have come to rely on throughout the years, the book was called 365 Ways to Cook Hamburger by Doyne Nickerson.
He even used some of the recipes his mother-in-law used in World War 1, the last copyright listed in my copy is from 1960. It’s like a pearl of wisdom from the past! Some of the recipes I won’t even try though because they involve banana…. and beef, I’m not that adventurous.
This is a really easy recipe to throw together and you can adjust to your tastes. Don’t like onion or mushrooms? Leave it out. Don’t have macaroni noodles? Use another type you have on hand. That’s the beauty of these recipes, they’re pretty customizable. I haven’t tried it with gluten-free pasta or dairy-free milk yet but let me know if you do.
The recipe is pretty simple.
It consists of the following:
- macaroni noodles
- ground beef
- olive oil
- sour cream
- buttered bread crumbs
And it’s super easy to put together, detailed instructions are listed below in the recipe card:
Boil the pasta until al dente.
And while the pasta boils cook your beef and veggies.
Once those are done make your gravy and mix it together in a casserole.
Then top with buttered bread crumbs and bake.
Savory Hamburger Casserole
- 9x13 Casserole Dish
- Medium-sized pot
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Spoons
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- measuring cups
- 8 oz Dry Macaroni Noodles
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ cup onion chopped
- ½ tbsp garlic minced
- ½ lb Mushrooms sliced
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1½ tsp Paprika
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 1½ cups Milk
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- ½ cup Cracker or Bread Crumbs
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter melted
- Bring a pot of water to boil and cook till al dente.
- Meanwhile, brown the ground beef in the olive oil along with the onion, garlic, and mushrooms.
- Once the beef and mushrooms are cooked through add the salt, paprika, and flour. Blend well, you'll want to make sure all the flour has absorbed any fat or liquids in the pan.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until it becomes a thick gravy. Then add the sour cream and mix well.
- Add the drained macaroni and stir to combine before adding to a greased casserole dish. Combine the melted butter with the cracker/bread crumbs and sprinkle across the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes to heat the casserole through and toast the top.
- Serve with a light salad and or some veggies like green beans or peas.